5211 Maryland Way
Brentwood, TN 37027
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday
The Planning section guides the physical development of the City as prescribed in the Brentwood 2020 Plan and Municipal Code (including zoning, subdivision, and related regulations).
Current Planning activities include:
- Assisting property owners, developers and others in the application of zoning and subdivision regulations
- Review of project plans for compliance with zoning and subdivision regulations
- Administration of regulations related to signs, floodplain development, hillside protection, home occupations, and other development related issues
- Staff support services for the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals
Long Range Planning
Long Range Planning activities include:
Oversight of the Brentwood 2020 Long Range Comprehensive Plan. The plan was last updated in 2006. It details the community's vision for future growth and development. The plan identifies tools to help future growth match the City’s vision. By anticipating what type of growth and development is likely, and where it is likely to occur, the plan helps the City place the appropriate land uses and infrastructure – such as roads and utilities -- in the right locations. It also helps coordinate City services. The plan is currently being updated, a process that expected to conclude in the fall of 2015. Click the link below for more information.
Coordination of the Brentwood Major Thoroughfare Plan (MTP). The MTP is the mobility component of the Brentwood 2020 Plan and is also currently undergoing revision along with the rest of the plan. The MTP is a long range, proactive plan that includes vision and action to address the issues involved in rapid growth. The plan is intended to address roadway, bicycle and pedestrian issues. Policies for encouraging bicycle and pedestrian safety and usage will be included as part of the plan update.
Citizens can always get up to date information from the 2020 Update by visiting the project web site at www.Brentwood2020.com. The web site includes the final report for the first Residential Survey, the Business Survey and soon, the results from the second Residential Survey and progress on the Major Thoroughfare plan. Videos of all meetings and other proceedings are also available on the project web page.
- Development of a Senior Housing Ordinance. The Brentwood Board of Commissioners held a work session on October 27, 2015 to continue discussions regarding a possible change to the City's zoning regulations to promote development of active adult, age restricted living communities. This was the third work session on this topic as the Commission works through a very deliberative and open process to discuss this important issue. At the October 27 meeting, the Commission reviewed a preliminary draft ordinance creating a new zoning classification restricted to active adult communities for individuals age 55 and older. Formal consideration of a final ordinance is not expected to occur until sometime in early 2016.
Links are here to the draft ordinance and the PowerPoint presentation from the October 27 workshop.