Fire Station 2 was built in 1986, making it the oldest station in the department. Station 2 was built while the city was still forming its fire department and housed the department’s first fire apparatus and firefighters, until Station 1 could be built in Maryland Farms. Station 2 is located on Wilson Pike just south of Concord Road across from the Falls Wood Subdivision. Station 2’s district is centrally located, covering south of Old Smyrna Road to the Franklin City limits on Moores Lane and East of the Robert E. Lee and Stone Hill Subdivisions to Steeplechase Drive and Green Hill Boulevard. Being centrally located in the city, the companies from this station respond to almost every fire alarm and major incident. It also is conveniently close to I-65, making it a primary response to any major vehicle accidents.
Station 2 is currently the only station which fire & rescue solely occupies. Station 2 consists of a watch desk (office), day room with kitchen, bunk room with officer’s quarters, fitness room, and locker facility for personal protective equipment. Station 2 also is where all regular maintenance is conducted on each piece of apparatus in the city. A maintenance shop is located at Station 2. In 2007, the station received an addition and renovation.
Station 2 houses Engine 2, Rescue 1, and Tanker 1. Engine 2 is a Sutphen Custom Pumper with 750 gallons of water and a pump with 1500 gallons per minute capacity. It was introduced into the fleet in 2000. Engine 2 is staffed with a Lieutenant, Engineer, and Firefighter/ Paramedic. It is outfitted with a full compliment of firefighting equipment as well as advanced life support medical equipment to respond to a variety of emergency situations.
Rescue 1 is also housed at Station 2. Rescue 2 is a 2003 Ferrera Heavy Rescue on an HME chassis and is staffed with an Engineer. It is the only apparatus of its kind in the city and is considered the “tool truck” for any sort of emergency. In case of an emergency outside of station 2’s district in which the Rescue is needed, the firefighter from Engine 2 can also respond with it. It has a full compliment of extrication equipment, also known as the “Jaws of Life”, as well as rope rescue, trench and advanced vehicle stabilization equipment, and shore-based swift water rescue equipment. Basic hazardous materials decontamination and spill mitigation equipment is also available on this apparatus.
Tanker 1 is housed along with the Rescue. Tanker 1 was built in 1986 and has a GMC chassis with 1800 gallons of water on a body built by FourGuys inc. It also has a portable water tank that can hold 2000 gallons of water and close to 50 gallons of fire suppressing foam used for special fire circumstances. The Tanker is especially useful in some of the more rural areas of Brentwood where hydrants are few and far between. Another useful area for the Tanker is any large vehicle fire on Interstate 65 where the amount of water an Engine carries would not suffice. Tankers can be very difficult to drive with the weight of water and sloshing principals, so only the most experienced of drivers are to drive it.